Phase I will encompass approximately seven acres of redevelopment at the northern end of the existing center where the former Rose’s department store was located. It will include five major elements: (Click here for larger view.)
A. – Pedestrian Bridge
- Envisioned as a monumental gateway to the City of Fredericksburg
- A design of red brick with cupola-topped towers at each end
- Fully enclosed with a roof and glass sides
- To serve as a continuation of the University’s Campus Walk and a safe connection to the campus and College Heights neighborhood
- Will span 214 feet (clear-span) across U.S. 1
- Will be 14 feet wide to comfortably allow passage by pedestrians, bicycles and electric utility (golf) carts (Click here for larger view.)
B. – Premium Student Residences
- Two 5-story structures will contain 156, two-bedroom apartments to be constructed in a 206,000 sq. ft. “U”-shaped complex, fronted by a two-story rotunda
- A front garden will feature small fountains surrounded by café tables. The large rear courtyard will have a sizable terrace for social activities and a long grassy area for recreation.
- Each apartment will feature two large bedrooms (designed for two students per room), two full baths, a living room and a full kitchen with eat-in bar. (Click here for larger view.)
- The complex will have a concierge desk for 24-hour security and a resident manager.
- Laundry rooms will be provided on every floor.
- A meeting room will be available for private student functions, and the two-story entry rotunda will provide ample social space for students to mix and mingle.
- The residences will be reserved for upper-class students and may be available for summer conference groups.
C. – Secured Transportation Center
- A 221,000 sq. ft. structured deck for both automobiles and bicycles
- Of the total automobile spaces, approximately 3 percent will be reserved for fuel-efficient vehicles.
- Fully secured with monitored cameras, gated entry/exit and card swipe access for users
- Wrapped with the offices facing U.S. 1 and retail on the first floor facing south and east
- Large bike corrals will be part of the Center’s design, encouraging students to walk and bike to their destinations.
D. – New Retail and Restaurant Spaces
- 30,000 sq. ft. of new ground-floor retail will be constructed.
- The retail will be leased to both current tenants of the Center that wish to relocate and to new tenants currently being attracted to Eagle Village.
- Several restaurant spaces with large outdoor dining terraces will be offered. Negotiations with several restaurateurs who will move into the center are currently underway.
- Parking will be added to accommodate the new retail.
E. – New Office Space
- 36,000 sq. ft. of new “Class-A” office space will be constructed over the retail shops on the first floor.
- Private elevators and access to spaces within the Transportation Center will be featured for businesses that move into the Village.
- Negotiations with potential tenants are currently underway.